Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My 34th Year

Its my birthday. I'm not too proud to say that I am turning 34.

A few days ago I found myself checking out Josh's FB page and found the following quote from Mark Twain...

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

In the past, I tended to allow fear to direct me toward certain decisions.   As my birthday present to myself I'm going to try to "Sail away from the safe harbor."

I should expand on that to say, I don't put much stock in regrets. Your actions were your actions- beating yourself up over them doesn't really make a difference. Learn from your mistakes, apologize to anyone you may have hurt and move on.  It appears that Twain also promoted moving forward without regret so maybe I'll give the rest of what he says a shot. I am sure that there is plenty to "Explore [and] Discover" in G'Ville.

No comments:

Post a Comment